There may be various reasons as to why one has dark knuckles. It may be inherited or could be a reaction to certain drugs you are consuming or it could also be because of a lack of proper skincare. Anyone can develop dark knuckles, however, there are ways to treat it. This blog will bring out 6 best home remedies for dark knuckles, which will have no side effects. The ingredients used are easily available in the market and are effective in treating your skin.
Here are some effective home remedies to lighten dark knuckles:
1. The lemon juice treatment
Lemon contains bleaching properties and thereby it is one of the best options when it comes to lightening your dark knuckles. For this remedy, you will have to add 5-6 teaspoons of lime juice in a bowl of water.
Soak your hands in it for 20 minutes. You can then rinse off your hands with warm water. Repeat this process at least for 2 weeks and you will notice a difference.
2. The baking soda method
Banking soda, known for its astringent properties can help in lightening the dark knuckles. This is an easy remedy, take a tablespoon of baking soda and mix it in a bowl of warm water.
Soak your hands in it for about 15 minutes and then rinse off your hand with cold water. Use this remedy thrice a week to get the best results.
3. Get rid of dark knuckles with egg whites
We often consume egg whites to build muscles, however, it is also loaded with other vital antioxidants, which can help you lighten your dark knuckles.
This is one of the easiest methods out there. You just need to apply the egg white on the affected area and leave it for 20 minutes. You can then rinse it off with warm water. Try this remedy for 5 times a day for at least 3 weeks to notice a major difference in your skin tone.
4. Lighten the knuckles using gram flour
Gram flour is best known for treating common skin conditions. For this remedy, you will need to blend 2 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon of gram flour. Apply the mixture on the affected area and give it a gentle massage. Leave it for about 20 minutes and wash it off with warm water. Try out this remedy for 15-20 days.
5. The milk cream method
Darker skin tones can be treated by applying raw milk topically. Milk, known for its high lactic acid content can not only lighten the skin but will also help in getting rid of dead cells on the skin’s surface.
Mix the content of Vitamin E capsule along with some milk cream. Apply it on the dry knuckles, rub it for about 5 minutes and wash it off after 10 minutes. You may also add a pinch of turmeric powder to benefit from the skin lightening and antiseptic properties of turmeric. You will start noticing a major difference within 2 weeks of following this remedy.
6. The almond-curd method
Almonds are rich in zinc, omega 3, protein and other vital nutrients. They help in softening and nourishing the skin. For this method to work effectively, you need to mix crushed almonds with curd and blend it to perfection.
You can then apply the paste onto your knuckles. Gently rub the affected area for 10 minutes and wash it off after the paste dries up. This method will bring positive results if you do it every day for at least 3 weeks.
Other Useful Tips
- In case you are unable to treat your dark knuckles with the above-suggested home remedies, you can check with a dermatologist. There may be other reasons attached to the problem, which only experts can address.
- Whenever you go out, it is best to apply some sunblock cream on your hands, this offers skin protection and also prevents your skin from darkening any further.
- Many people have claimed that rubbing potato juice or cucumber juice can also help in lightening the dark knuckles. You can try this method and see if it works well for you.
- Now that you know there is a problem, you need to take special care of your skin and never let them get too dry.
- Be very careful when you handle rough objects as they may worsen your condition
- If you are into sports, then make sure that you are using proper sports gear to protect your hands and knuckles.
- Avoid punching on hard surfaces and avoid doing knuckle push-ups as it will only worsen your condition.
- Use herbal soap (free of chemicals) to wash your hands
- Eat healthy food – Make sure that you are consuming loads of fresh vegetables and fruits to nourish your skin from within.
- Drink plenty of water every day to prevent dehydration.
These days, darker skin on the knuckle is a very common issue. It is most often linked to other conditions, particularly pre-diabetes or obesity. If your dark knuckles are not a symptom of a health condition, then the darkened knuckles is not a cause for concern.
The above suggested home remedies can help you get rid of dark knuckles in a matter of weeks. Home remedies do not cause side effects and will take time to produce results, you need to be patient and consistent. However, if these methods do not work for some reason, then you need to check with a doctor for a solution.